Please follow & like us :)
How to Save Tomato Seeds:
We grow heirloom seed because:
- Ten corporations control 67% of global proprietary seed.
- 93% of vegetable varieties carried in seed catalogs of the 1900's are now extinct, due to the consolidation of seed production in a few hands.
- Terminator, or 'suicide,' seeds are programmed to be infertile in the next generation, so farmers are forced to buy their seed, instead of saving it.
- Corporations use the law to intimidate farmers who save their own seed.
- Seeds that were naturally selected by our ancestors for over 12,000 years, and that are part of the human commons, are now being patented by corporations.
- Corporations co-opt public institutions to carry out research that supports their commercial interests, rather than the interests of the public.
- By growing open-pollinated heirloom varieties and conserving their seed we serve as responsible stewards of our seed heritage.